Region | This big, beefy cut originates from the Plate primal, between the front-facing Brisket and rear-facing Flank. Skirt Steak comes in 2 varieties known as the “inside” and “outside.” These names are purely based on their location. Whichever you choose, the Skirt Steak is a great cut when treated properly.
Preparation | Skirt Steak is a great cut for big, bold flavors in a short amount of time. The inherent beefiness of this cut automatically adds flavor to any dish you’re preparing. Conversely, the coarse grain of the Skirt Steak means it holds marinades extremely well. If you do choose to marinate, the thinness of the cut requires only a few hours to marinate — 2 to 4 hours tops. You’ll see plenty of recipes calling for lime juice — which will taste great — but you’ll want to decrease the amount of time you marinate your Skirt Steak in acidic ingredients to prevent an increase in toughness through chemical cooking. If you want a bold lime or citrus flavor, try squeezing a fresh lime wedge at the end of cooking or as a garnish on the plate.
Cooking Tips | If there ever was a piece of beef for hot and fast cooking, hands down, it’s Skirt Steak. Rare to medium-rare is perfect for this cut. You’ll want to achieve the crisp sear on the outside while leaving a bit of that beautiful pink color in the middle. Be sure to cut across the long, coarse muscle grain for best results. Layout your Skirt Steak on the hot, direct heat of your grill, or cut it into manageable pieces for pan-searing. A quintessential Latin American cut, the Skirt Steak is used in fajitas or paired with chimichurri. This cut would be great sliced into Greek pitas or as a protein upgrade in salad or pasta. Our favorite? Honey glazed Skirt Steak, sliced onto ciabatta with pickled red onion, arugula, and taleggio cheese.
Why We Love It | The Skirt Steak is a small and unique cut. With only 4 pieces per animal, beef connoisseurs practically stampede to grab a share of this meaty, richly flavored cut. This is truly an all-star ingredient with a wide range of uses.
Honey Glazed Skirt Steak Recipe
1 cup honey
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp fennel seed
½ tsp dried rosemary
1lb Crowd Cow skirt steak
salt and pepper, to taste
- Gently melt honey in a saucepan, being careful not to let it burn. Once warm and liquified, add red pepper flakes, fennel seeds and dried rosemary. Let the spices steep in the warm honey for 30 minutes and then strain it into a bowl and let cool.
- While the spices steep, pat the skirt steak dry and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the infused honey onto the skirt steak and spread evenly over the entire cut.
- Heat grill to high. Once the grill is ripping hot and thoroughly heated (after about 30 minutes), wipe the grates with a high temperature cooking oil.
- You can either grill the entire skirt steak whole or slice the meat into portions and grill in pieces.
- After 30 seconds of cooking time, flip the meat to a new spot on the grate and brush the cooked side with more of the honey mixture. Repeat this process until each side of the steak has been glazed 3 times.
- Rest for 5 minutes and slice with the blade of a knife at a 45-degree angle to create ¼” inch thick slices. Enjoy!
Enjoy delicious meat and seafood raised under the highest standards using no unnecessary antibiotics.
We believe animals should develop at their own pace — 100% free of artificial growth hormones — the way nature intended.
We personally know each producer we work with and ensure you get meals full of mouth-watering flavor.
What Raised Right Means to Crowd Cow
No Unnecessary Antibiotics
Animal welfare is of utmost importance to us, and we only work with farms and producers that provide humane and clean living environments for their livestock. Better living conditions (more space to roam, access to clean water and shelter, etc.) mean animals are naturally healthier — so antibiotics simply aren't necessary. In the rare cases where an animal gets sick or requires medical attention, antibiotics are only used therapeutically — never to promote growth or to "proactively" prevent diseases.
No Added Hormones
We believe animals should develop at their own pace — 100% free of artificial growth hormones. In other markets, animals are not typically provided enough space to build up their muscle, so hormones are given to promote growth. In contrast, our farms take the extra time, care, and effort to allow their animals to grow the way nature intended, gaining weight naturally. This translates to not only the safety and health of the animals, but also the premium quality of our products.
Personally Known & Taste-Tested
We have strong relationships with each producer we work with and have done our homework to ensure they meet our high standards. We only supply meat and seafood that we'd put on our own tables — a product that's delicious and raised ethically, cleanly, and sustainably — always taste-tested by experts and better than anything you can find in your grocery store.