Cottage Pie is a great way to celebrate fall and use up any extra vegetables and even leftover mashed potatoes in your refrigerator. This is a fun dish with many varieties, but for our version, we're sticking with a simple filling that is easy to make!
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef, 85% lean
- 1 onion, small diced
- 2 carrots, small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 c beef stock, (we prefer low sodium)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire
- 1 tsp thyme sprigs
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- Prep time
- 5 minutes
- Cook time
- 1 hour
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Saute your beef over medium-high heat until browned, 7-10 min. Remove the beef from the skillet.
- Add the vegetables** and garlic to the beef juices in the pan. Cook until soft, 7-10 min.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the tomato paste and flour. Saute until the flour is completely moistened.
- Return the cooked beef to pan. Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme. Simmer 5-10 min, until the gravy thickens.
- Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the meat mixture into a greased, 8x8 baking dish. Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over the meat mixture.
- Place the dish in the oven at 400F and cook for 20-30 min or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Let stand 5-10 min before serving.