- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large pan or glass casserole dish, roughly chop root vegetables into chunks and distribute around the dish. I like to use onions, carrots, and potatoes. They’ll act as a bed for the chicken.
- To prepare the chicken, rub butter under the skin, and rub the outside of the skin with olive oil. Salt and pepper the skin generously.
- Cut a lemon in half, and place both halves – plus whatever herbs you’re using, I recommend thyme – inside the cavity.
- Bake for up to 1 hour 15 minutes, checking at the 1-hour mark.