Short Rib Tacos
Rich, tender short ribs are made even tastier with the addition of zesty spices and kick of chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Serve with your favorite toppings and level of your Taco Tuesday!
- 3 lbs Bone-In Short Ribs
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, rough chopped + 1 Tbs adobo sauce (reduce for less spice)
- 1 Tbs ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 can of Mexican beer
- 1/2 C beef broth (only if pressure cooking)
- Zest & juice of one orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- Assorted toppings (sour cream, cheese, cilantro, radishes, jalapeno, avocado, etc.)
- Select sear or saute or your multi-pot or instant pot. Season short ribs with salt and pepper and sear on all sides, starting with the fatties side down, until browned and fat has started to render (about 3-4 minutes per side). Remove to a plate.
- Add chopped onion to the pot with the rendered beef fat and saute until starting to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic cloves and cook 30 seconds more. Add chipotle peppers, adobo sauce and spices, crushing oregano in the palm of your hand to release the oils. Cook for 1-2 minutes and add beer. Reduce by half. Add broth if pressure cooking (if slow cooking it’s not needed). Add seared short ribs back to the pot. Season with a couple pinches of kosher salt.
- Secure and lock lid. If pressure cooking, set the appliance to high, and cook for 70 minutes. If slow cooking, cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- When cooking cycle has completed, use a quick-release method to release steam, according to manufacturers’ directions.
- Remove meat from pot to a bowl. Using a gravy separator or skimmer, remove the layer of oil from the remaining liquid. Return to pot and reduce by half using the saute function.
- Remove bones and any large or tough pieces of fat from the meat and roughly shred. Return to the bowl with the skimmed/reduce juices. Add orange juice/zest, lime juice, and season to taste with kosher salt.
- Serve on warm tortillas with desire toppings.