Honey Dijon Chicken with Apples and Greens
Elevate your standard chicken breast with apples and onions, served with simple braised greens and topped with a honey dijon mustard sauce.
Chicken and Apples
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Fuji apples, cut into chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp arrowroot flour (if using regular flour, use 1 Tbsp)
- 1-2 Tbsp roughly chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Quick Braised Greens
- 1 bunch curly green kale, removed from stems and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch collard greens, removed from stems and chopped into bite-size pieces
- ½ C sweet onion, chopped
- ½ C low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium-high heat (we like cast iron). Working in batches, add the chicken, and cook until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook 2 to 3 more minutes, then transfer to a plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Mix honey and mustard together with chicken broth.
- Add half of the onion and all of the apples to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add mustard/broth mixture to pan and bring to a boil. Arrange the chicken in the pan. Transfer to the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Chicken must reach an internal temp of 165
- While chicken cooks, prepare greens. In a large saute pan, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil and add onion. Saute until softened and slightly translucent. Working in batches, add greens and allow to wilt. Season with salt and pepper. Add ¼ to ½ C chicken broth, cover and let simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Mix the butter and flour to form a paste. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken, apples and onion to plates.
- Bring the pan juices to a simmer, whisk in about half of the butter-flour mixture and boil to thicken, 2 minutes.
- Continue to cook, adding more of the butter-flour mixture as needed to make a slightly thick gravy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plate chicken with apples and greens.
- Pour over the gravy and sprinkle with parsley.