Oven-Roasted Butterflied Chicken Au Jus
Butterflied chickens roast much faster than their un-spatchcocked counterparts. Fresh herb seasoning dresses up this bad boy.
Servings : 3-5 Prep Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 1hr 15min
If you like Chicken Butterflied, you'll love the convenience and savings of our Lean Protein Subscription!
Inspired by J. Kenji López-Alt’s recipe on Serious Eats, this oven-roasted and butterflied chickenau jus makes a spectacular meal very, very simple, using whatever herbs are on hand in your garden (slash your nearest grocery store).
- 1 Pasturebird chicken (approximately 2.5 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs (whatever’s on hand. We love it with rosemary and chives)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sherry or white wine
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar, optional
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 teaspoons)
- Thaw your chicken a few hours in advance by placing it in a bowl of cool (not hot!) water. To speed the process, replace the water with fresh water once in a while.
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Place chicken on a wire rack inside a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. The chicken breasts should be in the middle of the pan so it cooks evenly.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the chicken with olive oil, about one to two tablespoons.
- Then in a small bowl, combine chopped herbs with salt, pepper, and an additional splash of olive oil, and rub the mixture into chicken to evenly.
- Into the oven! You’re using a high-heat method, so you’ll roast about 45 minutes (the thickest part of the breast close to the bone should be about 150°F). As it cooks, if it’s getting too dark too fast, reduce the heat to 450°F.
- Now the jus! While your chicken is cooking, add a splash of olive oil to a cast-iron or stainless steel pan, and heat it over high. When it’s shimmering, add onion and carrot and continue stirring often until browned. Add the bay leaf, then add the white wine and a cup of water. Scrape the bottom, reduce heat, and continue cooking for 20-25 minutes. Strain out solids and return liquid to pan. Boil until all but ⅓ cup is evaporated. Whisk in lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest. Internal temperature should reach 165°F for safe consumption. Plate beautifully. This is a wonderful chicken. Serve with jus.
Shop related cuts
Pasture-raised Butterflied Chicken
from Marble Creek Farmstead (Sylacauga, AL)
Farmers Market Subscription
from Pasturebird (Murrieta, CA)
Lean Protein Subscription
from Hutterian Farm (Reardan, WA)
Farmers Market Reserve Subscription
from Wolfe Brothers Farms (Wellsboro, PA)