- In a large bowl or pot filled with cold water, soak pork bones for at least an hour.
- Pour out water and refill. Place pot on stove burner on high heat, bring to a boil and boil for ten minutes with the lid tightly covered. Drain and rinse bones.
- Return bones to same pot and fill with vegetable broth. Add vegetables except potatoes and simmer on medium heat for 90 minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in a separate bowl until not quite tender.
- Remove potatoes and set aside in a bowl.
- In the same bowl you used for the potatoes, fill with water, bring to a boil, and quickly blanch napa cabbage. Drain, cool, and tear leaves into large strips.
- Sieve the broth, catching it in a pot or bowl (keep the bones for decoration and flavor in the soup, but you can discard all the veggies at this point).
- Pour back into the pot then add the pork bones, cabbage, potatoes, and various seasonings (from the seasoning ingredients list). Boil until potatoes are fully cooked, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add perilla leaves and basil and boil additional 2 minutes. Serve hot.