Classic Roast Turkey
The simplest and most classically delicious of turkey recipes for a beautiful Thanksgiving.
- 1 pasture-raised Gunthorp Farms turkey
- Salt (2-4 tsp)
- Pepper (2-3 tsp)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 T butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season inside turkey cavity with salt and pepper, then stuff with onion, carrot, and garlic.
- Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- In roasting pan with a rack, place turkey breast side up. Rub bird with butter, salt, and pepper.
- Loosely tent with aluminum foil over turkey, which will help prevent over-browning of surface.
- Roast turkey for 1h, then remove from oven and baste with pan juices, replacing aluminum tent before you put it back in the oven. Roast an additional hour, then remove foil tent and baste. Don’t put the tent back on. Continue roasting, basting every half hour, until meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees F when inserted into thickest part of thigh (3h15 - 4h).
- Let turkey rest 30 minutes, then remove vegetables from cavity and discard.
- Transfer turkey to a serving platter. Serve with your favorite gravy.
Shop related cuts