How to Smoke A5 Prime Rib
The melt-in-your-mouth marbling paired with a crispy outer bark makes this a little slice of heaven on your plate. Juicy, full of flavor and supremely tender, guests will be talking about this roast for years to come.
- A5 Prime Rib
- Hardwood charcoal (oak, hickory, sugar maple, etc.)
- Dijon mustard or mayonnaise (if making a spiced crust)
- Salt and pepper
- 25 garlic cloves (approximately 3 heads)
- Heavily season exterior with salt and pepper prior to cooking. Seasoning it overnight is preferable, but at minimum, 60 minutes prior to cook start.
- For a spiced crust, use a Dijon mustard or mayonnaise to help herbs affix to roast and form crust.
- Stud top of roast with garlic cloves.
- Grill at 250 to 300°F, keeping the heat below 300.
- Smoke for 3.5 hours until it hits an internal temperature of 140°F for medium, 135°F for medium-rare.
- Allow it to rest 3 minutes per pound. Do not cover with foil. Leave uncovered to retain superior crust.