Coho Salmon Over Herbed Spaetzle
Crowd Cow Ambassador @916bbq
Pan sear your Coho Salmon, coat with pesto and serve on top of homemade spaetzle (German noodles) for an amazingly flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth meal.
- 2 Portions Salmon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green onion, separated white from green
- 1 shallot, diced fine
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp roasted red pepper, diced
- Olive oil
- Basil pesto, fresh or store bought
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp herbes de provence
- Prep time
- 10 minutes
- Cook time
- 30 minutes
- First, to make spaetzle batter, combine flour, eggs, water, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of black pepper and 1 tsp of herbes de provence into a lump free batter.
- Start a generous amount of well-salted water boiling in a pot large enough to support a colander above the water.
- In batches, pour the batter into the colander and press through the holes into the water with a spatula.
- When the pasta floats, it's done, set aside and toss with oil to prevent sticking.
- Prepare a griddle or cast iron pan over medium heat. Pat salmon dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Oil pan and place salmon on skin side down. Cook until opaque around edges then carefully flip.
- Continue cooking until it reaches 145°F internal. Remove salmon from the pan and set aside to rest.
- Wipe pan, add oil to coat bottom.
- Add shallots, green onion whites and peppers, cook for a few minutes until the shallot is translucent.
- Add garlic and cook thirty seconds to a minute more. Add pasta and toss until browned, remove from heat.
- Add parmesan and remaining green onion toss then place in serving dishes.
- Heat pesto quickly in still-hot pan.
- Top pasta with salmon, garnish with pesto and parmesan and enjoy!