Elevate your classic fish recipe and serve the perfect appetizer with this delicious twist on crab cakes — sweet Wolffish with a crispy, tangy coating and sauce.
Recipe and photo by @melisbuzzfed
- 3 Wild Icelandic Wolffish Fillets
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup chopped capers
- 1/4 cup mayo (*optional mix with Siracha or other condiments for spice)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lemon for garnish
- Prep time
- 15 minutes
- Cook time
- 25 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slow roast the Wolffish until opaque and tender — you should easily be able to tear a piece of meat off with a fork or knife. Let cool.
- Shred the Wolffish. Mix with chives, capers, mayo, dijon, lemon juice and Old Bay Seasoning. Set aside.
- Roll small handfuls of this mixture into a ball shape with your hands.
- Then take the balls and roll into your prepared mixture on a plate.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the wolffish “cakes” one at a time and fry until a deep golden brown. Gently roll each to ensure all sides are evenly cooked.
- Serve with lemon and spicy mayo.