Cook Steaks From Frozen
We’ve come to be big fans of not defrosting at all before cooking steaks. Except for Wagyu, which has fat that is known to melt at room temperature, it’s certainly easier, and experts say it’s better to cook beef directly from its frozen state.
- Prep time
- 5 minutes
- Cook time
- 25 minutes
- Preheat oven to 275℉
- Defrost for 2 or 3 minutes by putting the steaks (still in their vacuum-seal wrap) in a pot of cool water. This will ensure the salt and pepper stick more easily. Conversely, if you’d like to thaw your steaks on the counter, it normally takes about 5 or 10 minutes for the surface to soften up enough for seasoning.
- Heat up a skillet filled 1/8 inch deep with oil.
- Sear until the steak is browned on all sides (90 seconds per side).
- Transfer to wire rack set into a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cook in the preheated oven until desired doneness (18 to 20 minutes for a 1-inch-thick steak).