The perfect addition to your holiday party menu.
Servings : Many as appetizer, 6-8 as main dish - Prep Time : 30 minutes - Total Time : 4 hours 30 minutes
- 6 Tbs butter
- 2 yellow onions, minced
- 4 slices rye bread, cut into small pieces
- 3 ½ c beef broth
- 1 c sour cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ t ground nutmeg
- ½ t salt
- ½ t pepper
- 2 lbs ground beef (lean works fine, too)
- ½ c all-purpose flour
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 t minced dill
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat and melt ~1 tbs butter or olive oil, and cook onions until translucent (5-7 minutes).
- In a large bowl, mix bread, egg yolks, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/3 cup broth. Transfer onions from skillet to bowl and mash all content with a fork until combined. Add meat and mix, kneading with your hands (if you’re brave enough - it really does help!) until very well combined and even.
- Grease a wire rack and set it inside a lined cookie sheet. (Tinfoil works best as a liner.)
- Make 1 and 1/4 inch meatballs from the mixture, rolling with your hands.
- Once oven is ready, bake for 13-16 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once browned, remove from oven and transfer meatballs to slow-cooker.
FOR THE SAUCE
- Your sauce starts with a rue. Melt butter in skillet over low-medium heat. Turning heat up to medium, whisk in flour with butter about 2-3 minutes until the mixture starts to brown (it’s important you whisk constantly during this step!).
- Pour in remaining broth slowly and mix. Bring to a boil.
- Remove skillet from heat and pour sauce over meatballs in slow cooker. Cover the slow-cooker and cook at low heat 4 hours, thickening the sauce and making the meatballs tender.
- Turn off slow cooker and spoon half cup of sauce into a separate, small bowl. Into the separated sauce, whisk the remaining sour cream, dill, and soy sauce. Stir back into slow-cooker.
- Spear each meatball with a cocktail toothpick and arrange on a tray. Voila – You have a beautiful party appetizer. Or serve with egg noodles as a main dish.
Shop related cuts