Peppercorn-Crusted Roast Beef
Opt for a sous vide preparation to keep lean sirloin roast juicy and tender.
Servings : 6-8 Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: About 15 hours
- 3 lbs sirloin roast (can also use top round or rump roast)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard seed powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tbsp chile powder
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed
- 1 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp cracked Szechuan peppercorns
- 8 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
In a bowl, mix the garlic powder, mustard seed, turmeric, paprika, chili powder, thyme leaves, and the rosemary. Coat the roast with the mixture, and place it inside a vacuum-sealed bag. Cook the roast in a hot water bath at 131 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 hours.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the roast from the bag and pat dry. Mix the black pepper, Szechuan peppercorns, rosemary, kosher salt and olive oil together, and rub them over the roast. Place the roast in the oven until a crust forms, about 5 minutes.
Let the meat rest for 3 minutes. Slice and serve.
Related cuts: Sirloin Tip Roast