Beer-Braised Barbecue Pork Butt
Crack a cold one and offer it to your roast — this makes for some of the best pulled pork of your life!
- Pork shoulder/butt (4-5.5 lbs)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T ground coriander
- 2 T ground mustard seed
- 2 T cumin
- 2 T salt
- 1 T freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T chili powder
- 8 ounces dark beer
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Prep time
- 3 hours
- Cook time
- 5 hours
- First, make the rub by combining all rub ingredients in a medium bowl and mixing well. Rub onto thawed pork butt roast, thoroughly.
- Once the rub has been added, refrigerate the roast for 2-4 hours.
- When ready to cook, place pork in a roasting pan and preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Roast for 40 min or until very dark brown on the outside. Lower temperature to 325F, pour beer over roast and distribute minced garlic around the pork. Cover tightly with foil, poking a few small holes in the foil.
- Cook 2.5-3 more hours at 325 degrees F until tender.
- Transfer meat to a plate and reserve any excess juices – these will make your sauce!
- Add juices to a bowl and then add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer until reduced to desired thickness (~15 min).
- Meanwhile, pull apart pork with a fork, adding sauce when it’s thickened.