Chef Sadie's Shrimp & Grits
14 year old, former "Master Chef Junior" competitor recreated a classic, widely enjoyed American dish. This mix of flavors, from hearty grits, to smoky bacon and sweet shrimp will melt in your mouth.
Recipe by Sadie Davis-Suskind.
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups white or yellow quick grits
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ pound smoky bacon, cut crosswise into 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or other neutral oil
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- Prep time
- 5 minutes
- Cook time
- 40 minutes
- To cook the grits, combine water and broth in a large pot at medium-high heat and bring to simmer. Then slowly add your grits and whisk continuously. Proceed for 5 minutes then switch to low heat.
- Add a pinch salt and pepper to the mixture and keep whisking. Watch as grits thicken for about 20 minutes. Add butter and stir until fully incorporated. Repeat with milk. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed, set aside and cover to keep warm.
- To cook the bacon, heat a medium skillet to medium heat. Add bacon pieces and cook for 5-6 minutes, until brown and crisp. Remove from pan and drain onto paper towels.
- To cook the shrimp, place meat into a bowl, pour in grapeseed oil and season with salt, ensuring each piece is coated. Take the bacon skillet, remove grease and set to high heat.
- Place shrimp in hot skillet, a few at a time, making sure there is space between each. Sear shrimp by pressing down with a metal spatula. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side, or until flesh on opposite side turns pink. Aim for pink shrimp with red tails.
- Plate all items as a large bed of grits topped with bacon, shrimp and sliced scallions. Serve and enjoy!