Get 2lbs of FREE Mishima Reserve Ground Wagyu with every subscription order over $149! Claim this offer
Sweet’n Soy Braised Beef
Simmer with baking spices for a hint of sweetness. Serve with boiled eggs and fresh rice.
- 1 ½ lbs Flat Iron Steak, cubed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or palm sugar
- 3 pieces star anise
- 1 tsp sloves
- 5 ginger slices, 1 ½ inch
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5-6 cups water
- 4-6 eggs
- Prep time
- 10 minutes
- Cook time
- 2 hours and 10 minutes
- Add oil to a large pot and heat to medium-high. Pat and dry cubed pieces of steak, then place into the pot.
- Brown all sides of the steak. Add water to the pot, enough to fully cover the meat. Add soy sauce and brown sugar.
- In a loose leaf tea bag, combine star anise, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon sticks.
- Submerge in the pot and simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, boil water in a separate pot.
- Add eggs to boiling water and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove and place in ice water.
- Once cool, peel and rinse the boiled eggs.
- Add eggs to the large pot during the last 30 minutes (this will season the eggs).
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and soy sauce.
- Once beef is cooked, discard the bag of spices.
- To serve, enjoy the beef and broth spooned over a bowl of hot rice.