The Best Chicken Noodle Soup
Homemade chicken noodle soup is always a yes! Warm, comforting and extremely flavorful, this is a great meal to enjoy on a sick day and all throughout the fall and winter months.
- 1 1/2-2 lbs chicken thighs
- 10 cups organic chicken bone broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Prep time
- 15 minutes
- Cook time
- 45 minutes
- To start, pat chicken dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a stockpot, heat oil at medium-high heat.
- Add chicken a few pieces at a time, skin side down and cook 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken, remove skin and save 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Add onion to drippings and cook at medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add broth and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add chicken back in. Add celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken again and set aside. Remove soup from heat, add noodles and let sit, covered for about 20 minutes, or until noodles are cooked.
- Once chicken has cooled, shred into small bite-sized pieces. Put meat back in pot. Add in parsley and lemon juice. Add extra salt and pepper if desired. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!