Ali Miller's Gut Restoring Bone Broth
Ali Miller's keto-friendly Gut Restoring Bone Broth Recipe is a delicious and healthy meal that supports a balanced microbiome.
- 1 pasture-raised raw chicken
- 1.5 Tbsp Ghee or grass-fed butter
- 1 Tbsp, Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 yellow onion with skin, quartered and then chopped in half
- 1 red onion with skin, quartered and then chopped in half
- 3 carrots, chopped in 2-3” pieces
- 1 full celery bunch, keep leaves on, chopped
- 6-7 cloves garlic, skinned, smashed
- 1-3 cups vegetable scraps (onion skins, chard stems, carrot tops, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp Braggs raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Turmeric ground or fresh and chopped
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Prep time
- 10 minutes
- Cook time
- 24 hours
- Coat inside (cavity) and outside of the pasture-raised chicken with ghee, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Roast chicken in the oven at 350°F for 1 1/2 Hours until the juices run clear.
- Remove skin, discard. Remove and reserve meat for chicken salad or soup.
- Put the carcass into a 4-quart pot and pour in the liquid from roasting pan.
- Cut the onions, carrots, and celery into a few large pieces and add to the pot.
- Cover all bones and veggies with water and put on the stove.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce heat to a slow simmer. Add vinegar, turmeric, sea salt, and bay leaves.
- Let it simmer with the lid on until bones are soft and the broth is a rich yellow hue, at least 24 hours - up to 36 hours. Do not agitate or stir broth once cooking.
- If you're not using within 5 days, cool slightly and strain the stock into a freezer-safe container.
- Be sure to leave 1-2 inches of room for expansion for freezing. Discard bones and vegetables.
Shop related cuts