Apple Maple Cinnamon Ribs
Bring on all the fall flavors with Steak Holder @jaymeesire's rib recipe complete with an apple cider brine, maple cinnamon ribs and apple huckleberry BBQ sauce!
Recipe and photo by @jaymeesire
- 1 rack of St. Louis SpareRibs
- 4 cups fresh apple cider
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup maple sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground dry mustard
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne (depending on desired heat level)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground cinnamon
- 2 cups frozen huckleberries (can sub blueberries)
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 chipotle pepper + 1 tsp adobo sauce (canned)
- 1 small hot pepper, split
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp strong brewed coffee (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Prep time
- 30 minutes
- Cook time
- 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Combine apple cider, 1/4 cup kosher salt and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Stir until salt dissolves and allow mixture to cool completely. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Place ribs meaty side down in a large baking dish and pour cider mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 225°F.
- Combine maple sugar, 1 tbsp kosher salt, onion granules, garlic granules, sweet paprika, ground dry mustard, black pepper, cayenne and freshly ground cinnamon to make a rub.
- Remove ribs from brine, season with rub and allow them to come to room temp.
- Wrap with foil meaty side down and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cook for 3.5 hours.
- Remove from oven and increase temperature to 350°F.
- To make BBQ sauce, combine huckleberries, apple, yellow onion, garlic cloves, chipotle, ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Carefully blend until smooth and strain through a fine mesh sieve. Reduce over medium low heat until thickened. Season to taste with more salt and brown sugar if necessary.
- Brush ribs with BBQ sauce and cook for another 30 minutes. Brush with more BBQ sauce and serve.