Slow-Cooked Italian Brisket
Garlic cloves and tomato paste put an Italian flair on a classic brisket preparation.
Servings : 12 Prep Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 3 hours
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5-6 lbs brisket flat, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 julienned yellow onions
- 4 carrots, cut in 1-inch
- 4 celery stalks, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1.5 lbs turnips or rutabaga, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 10 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 5 sprigs thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley, chopped (optional)
Add vegetable oil to a pot, and set your stove to high heat. Add the cubed brisket, and let it sear so that all sides are equally brown. Add all the additional ingredients, except the parsley, to the pot, and lower the heat until the liquids begin to simmer. Cook, partially covered, for 2 to 2.5 hours, until the meat is tender.
Once complete, serve by itself, or over a bed of pasta. Add chopped parsley for a bright touch.