How to BBQ a Whole Chicken
Whole Chickens are great for grilling as well as smoking. Brine and season for a fresh smoked flavor or pair with your favorite beer to make the juiciest beer butt smoked chicken.
- Whole Chicken
- 1/2 cup Kosher Salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 3 garlic gloves
- 5 thyme sprigs
- Your favorite rub
- Prep time
- 10 minutes
- Cook time
- 3 hours
- Prepare brine by dissolving salt and brown sugar in 1 gallon of water. When dissolved, place chicken in brine and let sit in refrigerator, fully submerged overnight.
- Remove chicken from the brine, dry and rub with minced garlic and your rub of choice. Stuff the cavity with lemon, onion, garlic and thyme then tie the legs together.
- Smoke at 225-250°F with chicken directly on the grill grate.
- Smoke until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Time will vary based on size of chicken, approximately 45 minutes per pound.
- Remove, let sit for at least 15 minutes, slice and serve!
- For beer can chicken method, see our recipe here: https://www.crowdcow.com/recipe/beer-can-chicken.